Friday, February 4, 2011

my food addiction

I have been on the Atkins Diet a week ago last Monday. So, about a week and a half. It has been HARD.

I now know what it would be like to be addicted to something and have those intense cravings when you are trying to quit because I felt that. Hello, my name is Kelsy and I am addicted to food.

Well first of all you go through the induction flu as your body moves into ketosis (burning fat for energy). And, I certainly did. My legs were cramping. I was so nauseous and dizzy. I was actually running a low grade fever.

And, to top it all off I have not lost as much weight as they say you typically should. Typically you lose up to 14 pounds in the first two weeks. I have only lost 6. SIX!!!

The other thing about this diet is that it is a life style change. You basically have to do this diet for the rest of your life or you will gain back because your body will go out of ketosis.

I don't know if I can do this diet for the rest of my life! So much protein that you can cook in only so many ways. And, I originally did this diet because I love meat and fish and cheese. But, I had no idea that I could get sick of it so quickly.

There is one plus to this diet and that is I am not hungry during the day which is a miracle! I no longer get shaky or sick if I am hungry.

So, I don't know. I thought I needed a diet that felt like a diet because all of the others haven't worked. But, I'm not sure I can do this for that much longer.

But, If I don't what will I do? I'm already thinking about the Best Life diet by Oprah's trainer Bob Greene. He has it in 4 phases that let you take baby steps and built in cheating days.

SOOO, for now I'm frustrated with myself. I can't keep to any diet for very long...just like everything else in my life! No, I'm not becoming depressed again....just forcing myself to analyze myself. Hopefully, I will change for the better.

1 comment:

Kristi Ostler said...

I completely get this. I had done the Atkins diet before, and had a little success. However, everyone loses weight at a different pace. And I can honestly tell you that I've eaten mainly a protein diet for months now, and I still crave sweets. I still want that roll. Not as bad as I used to. But it's an addiciton, so it's a mind thing. Most of the time I can walk away, but every now and then I can't.


Eating is something I always looked forward to. I looked forward to every meal. Now, I basically think....how can I get this protein in and go on? I still look forward to certain restaurants and dishes, but not like I used to.

Letting go of all of that is a process. I went through a mourning period.

Hang in there, and find a diet you can handle!