Thursday, April 22, 2010

Death

Many of my friends are grieving. One, the loss of a child she will never have. One, the loss of the health of her father. One, the loss of her grandmother/mother this morning. Loss is all around us...so what keeps up going?

My friend told me that her grandmother passed away this morning at 8am without anyone by her side. The last two evenings she had lingered on while all of her daughters and her grandchild were there with her through the night. They had set up candles and were there to be with her when she passed. But yet, she waited until everyone had left.

It makes you wonder how much they can hear and can feel when they are in those seemingly unawakened states. Did she feel that it was best to leave when her family was not with her because she knew the pain that they were feeling? Or that one daughter was begging her not to go? It's possible. She was a strong woman.

It reminds me of my grandfather. On the morning that he passed, my sister and I went to go hold his hands and his pulse dropped significantly. He relaxed. My mom had said that he knew that we were holding his hands and it was comforting to him. He was breathing much more calmly.

After everyone had left but my sister, my mom and I, I took out my viola, put on my mute, and started to play. I played as beautiful as I could, as pretty as I could, as courageously as I could.

As soon as I hit one of the climax's of the piece, the machines started beeping. My mother started crying. They came in and turned off the machines and my mom told me to stop...that she wanted me to leave with Haley. I packed up my instrument and took Haley and as soon as we stepped into the hallway he took his last breath, smiling and peaceful.

It couldn't have been coincidence. Just like it couldn't have been coincidence with my friend's grandmother that she waited until she was alone, I believe the music was beckoning him into heaven. He heard the music, saw the gates open, and thought, I'm home.

It's one of the greatest honors that I still hold on to today. I got to play for my grandpa while he left this world and went onto the next. Please pray for my three friends and my family...we could all use your prayers.

Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

1 comment:

luke said...

Powerful stuff. My sister-in-law's mother passed away yesterday. She has had "close calls" of failing health a few times in the last year and in a way I believe it can be a relief for her and her family. I'm sure your music was a relief to your grandfather.