Friday, July 24, 2009

My History

My mom was doing a little cleaning yesterday in her room, going through her drawers and putting things into "keep" and "donate" piles.

She stumbled across the geneology books from her mom and dad and we opened them back up to take a look. It had been almost 4 years or so since we had last seen them.

I found out that I am definitely a heinz 57 of a human, a mutt! But, not in the negative sense of the word.

From my grandma's side I am: German, Italian, Swiss, French and English.
From my grandpa's side I am: Dutch, English, Irish, German, and French.

Not to mention that my great great grandmother on my dad's side was full blood Chickasaw Indian as well as their, no doubt, multicultural background.

So, yes I have many different origins and cultures in my family history from a civil war 145th regiment soldier to a lord mayor in England, a relative that was alive when King Edward I was in reign, to the first descendants that landed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, to a Van Winkle that owned the original War Eagle mill in Arkansas and most of the county.

It was an interesting look back at history, a nostalgic afternoon.

No comments: